- Sized to fit children from infancy to about 8-10 years (6 sizes)
- Stream-lined design dynamically assists grasp.
- Minimal palmar coverage allows the hand to function more normally, to feel and to manipulate objects.
- Made from 1.5 mm washable nylon-covered neoprene
- The smooth side nylon is worn against the skin. The outer fabric is a closed loop Nylon fabric which allows attachment of the hook tape anywhere on the splint thus making it adaptable to a variety of applications.
- Latex free and available in 6 colors
- Extra hook tape is available for purchase. Velcro® brand tape as well as other brands of hook tape are used in the manufacture of the McKie thumb splint.
- Custom options include custom sizing, widened web space, longer strapping and plastic web stay.
Sizing for Adults and Children
To assure the best fit, use of a sizing kit is strongly recommended. If a sizing kit is unavailable, follow the directions below. Neonatal sizes are suitable for very small or prematurely born infants. Pediatric sizes are suitable for children from about 3 months to 6-10 years. Older children and adults need adult sizes. When figuring sizes, it is important to use a centimeter tape measure.
How to Determine Thumb Splint Size
1. Measurement A
Measure to the 1/10th of a centimeter the circumference of the far or distal thumb joint.
2. Measurement B
Measure to the 1/10th of a centimeter the distance on the palm from the distal thumb joint to the center of the wrist crease.
3. Refer to Chart
On the appropriate chart (see links below), find the the square where Measurement A and Measurement B meet. The square should fall within a bold area corresponding to the correct size. If Neonatal use only Measurement A an Neonatal Sizing and refer to the neonatal chart for neonatal sizing.
Example: If Measurement A = 5.2 centimeters and Measurement B = 6.0 centimeters, then splint size = P5
- Adult Sizing Chart →
- Pediatric Sizing Chart →
- Neonatal Size Chart → Use only Measurement A. Refer to the neonatal chart for neonatal sizing.
4. Record Sizes
Note splint size and left or right hand, as this is required when ordering. If ordering offline, the catalog # for the above example would be P5-L (left hand) or P5-R (right hand).